Columbine Stable's Sligo Bay made a late charge to post a one-length victory in the $108,600 Cinema Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park on Sunday. Ridden by Laffit Pincay Jr., Sligo Bay covered the 1 1/8-mile race for 3-year-olds in 1:48.40 on a firm turf course and paid $10.80, $5.20, and $3.20. Learing at Kathy finished second and returned $4.20 and $2.80.
Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel saddled the winners of both stakes races Saturday at Santa Anita Park. Frankel sent out Juddmonte Farms' Marine for a half-length victory in the $83,475 La Puente Stakes for 3-year-olds. And in the $81,975 Providencia Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, Frankel-trained horses ran one-two as Dr. John Chandler's Dynamous held off stable mate and 4-to-5 favorite Heads Will Roll for a half-length victory.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' Global Gait, winner of three of five career starts, is one of five Visa Triple Crown nominees set to run in Saturday's La Puente Stakes at Santa Anita. Trained by Bob Baffert, the Maryland-bred son of Concern was fourth in the Fountain of Youth in his 2001 debut.
C.T. Grether Inc.'s Crafty C.T. set the early pace and drew away in the stretch, winning the $200,000 San Rafael Stakes (gr. II) by four lengths over Palmeiro on a fast track at Santa Anita on Saturday. Under jockey Eddie Delahoussaye, Crafty C.T. completed the one-mile race for 3-year-olds in 1:35.79.
Santa Catalina Stakes runner-up Palmeiro worked four furlongs in :47.60 over Santa Anita's main track Wednesday in preparation for Saturday's grade II San Rafael Stakes for 3-year-olds going one mile. Probable starters in the race, with jockeys, are: Palmeiro, Kent Desormeaux; Swordfish, David Flores; Victory Roar, Gary Stevens; Crafty C.T., Eddie Delahoussaye; Early Flyer, Chris McCarron; Media Mogul, Alex Solis and Wild And Wise, Victor Espinoza.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night