Trainer Ben Cecil confirmed that Medaglia d'Amour will be scratched from the $2 million Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I) Nov. 4 after spiking a temperature the day before the race.
Recent grade I winners Dubawi Heights and Amazombie completed the main preparations for their respective assignments in the 2011 Breeders' Cup World Championships with workouts at Santa Anita Oct. 29.
Winning for the first time since April 2010, City to City came from off the rail in the lane to sweep past pacesetter Medaglia d'Amour in deep stretch and captured the $150,000 Palomar Handicap (gr. IIT) at Del Mar Sept. 5.
The busy Labor Day weekend of stakes action winds down at Del Mar with the Palomar Handicap (gr. IIT). The 1 1/16-mile race for older fillies and mares is a hard one to handicap.
Always tough Wasted Tears returns to Southern California to defend her title in the $250,000 John C. Mabee Stakes (gr. IIT) against a competitive field on the Del Mar turf Aug. 14.
Jason, Tom, and Tim Holland of twinspires.com preview the Gamely Stakes (gr. I) at Hollywood Park. Watch Video
For all of Tuscan Evening's success in the past two seasons, the one thing that has eluded her is a grade I victory, an omission she'll try to correct in the $250,000 Gamely Stakes May 29 at Hollywood Park.
Medaglia d'Amour made her stakes debut a winning effort when she edged clear in deep stretch to take the $100,000 Wilshire Handicap (gr. IIIT) by 1 1/4 lengths over favored Cat by the Tale on the Hollywood Park turf May 1.
Tuscan Evening goes for an extremely rare achievement at Santa Anita when she attempts to win her fourth graded stakes of the meet in the $200,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) April 17.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby