Front-running Meal Penalty found himself on a lonely lead and made the best of it, holding on for a three-quarters of a length win in the $150,000 Arlington Classic for 3-year-olds on the Arlington Park turf May 24.
Two feature races for 3-year-olds on the Arlington Park turf headline the program May 24. In the American One Thousand Guineas, Dreaming of Liz tries the grass for the first time. Sporting Art is the choice in the Arlington Classic.
While he may be light in seasoning, Crown of Thorns showed a world of potential in handily stretching out to two turns Feb. 2 at Santa Anita, scoring a dynamic 2 1/2-length victory as the favorite in the $200,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II).
B. Wayne Hughes' Crown of Thorns, a seven-length maiden winner in his most recent start for trainer Richard Mandella, warrants plenty of attention for his first route try in the $200,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Feb. 2.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Trainer Bob Baffert appears to have another standout 2-year-old in his barn after Massive Drama drew away from co-favored Into Mischief mid-stretch for a 1 3/4-length win in the Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) over the Cushion Track on Thanksgiving Day Nov. 22.
Meal Penalty, an unbeaten 2-year-old from the barn of the nation's leading trainer, will try to stretch his streak to three when he faces 12 rivals in the $100,000 Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) on Thanksgiving Day at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- Tonalist Begins Push For Eclipse Award
- Delaware, Lab Work to Improve Test Turnaround
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- NY Legislature Extends 2% Share for Horsemen
- The Dirt On Synthetics Timeline
- Tattersalls Finalizes Dates for October Sale
- Haskin: No More 'What Ifs' With Wise Dan