With heavy rain hitting East Rutherford, N.J. in early afternoon, the Meadowlands Racetrack canceled live racing for Friday, Oct. 9.
All-turf Thoroughbred racing will return to Meadowlands this fall when the New Jersey track hosts the first of 10 days of racing action beginning Oct. 11.
There will be 77 Thoroughbred racing dates for 2013 under a schedule approved by the New Jersey Racing Commission Nov. 14. The dates were approved pending a review of the minutes of the meeting by Gov. Chris Christie.
Meadowlands Racetrack has canceled live racing Oct. 19 after heavy rains throughout the night and early morning in northern New Jersey and with rain in the forecast throughout the afternoon.
The United States Trotting Association has formed a committee to examine a proposal to use a small percentage of gaming revenue to support marketing and enhanced equine drug testing, but stopped short of endorsing the plan.
The Meadowlands Racetrack in East Rutherford, N.J., canceled live racing due to inclement weather after the running of the first race on Saturday night.
The Meadowlands Racetrack posted across-the-board losses for the 62-day 2002 Thoroughbred meet, which ended on Saturday night.
The Meadowlands will not hold live racing or host simulcating on Sept. 11.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken to Miss Tampa Bay Derby With Ankle Strain
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84