Based on the company he had been keeping, it was going to be difficult to deny favored Diamond Stripes in the $500,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. II). Magna Graduate did everything he could in a stretch-long duel with the 11-10 choice, but came up a half-length short the night of Oct. 5 in New Jersey.
A $3.4-million stakes schedule, highlighted by the $500,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. II) on Oct. 5, will be offered during Meadowlands' 41-date Thoroughbred meet that begins Sept. 3.
The Meadowlands' 33-date 2006 season opens on Sept. 29 with a giveaway that pays off for the rest of the year. The first 7,000 paid admissions will receive a free grandstand/clubhouse pass valid for the remainder of the meeting.
A $2.7 million stakes schedule - highlighted by the $500,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. II) Oct. 13 - will be offered during the 33-date Thoroughbred meet which gets underway Sept. 29 at the Meadowlands.
Edward P. Evans's Virginia homebred Tap Day rallied through the lane before drawing off to a three-length score in the $500,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. II) on Friday night.
Alumni Hall figures to be ready for one of the toughest challenges of his racing career Friday night, when he takes on eight rivals under 121 pounds of high weight in the $500,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. I).
With the price of a gallon of gas at or near $3, Meadowlands will promote its Friday nights by giving away fuel via drawings throughout the evening.
Martin S. Schwartz's Bowman's Band, making his first start for Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens, kicked clear in the upper stretch and went on to post a 12-1 upset in Friday night's $400,000 Meadowlands Breeders' Cup (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Kentucky Rescinds Dextrophan Positives