The annual birthday celebration for legendary 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat is set for March 29 at his birthplace in Doswell, Va.
- By Steve Haskin
The latest racing documentary, 'Penny and Red,' directed, edited, and produced by John Tweedy and narrated by actress Diane Lane, is not your typical home movie with the same stock film clips of Secretariat. read blog
- By Claire Novak
Flash back with me. Spring of 1962. The target everyone wants to hit, of course, is the Kentucky Derby--but in the meantime, as a stepping stone, the Florida Derby looms. read blog
Retired jockey John "Johnny" Wirchainski, who exercised major winners Sir Gaylord and Cicada, died July 4 of congestive problems in Dublin, Ohio.
Only a dozen owners have won multiple Kentucky Derbys, and this year three owners have a chance to join that most exclusive club.
- By Steve Haskin
Excerpted from the pages of the March 17, 2012 The Blood-Horse magazine, senior correspondent Steve Haskin tells how Riva Ridge put a struggling racing stable back on firm footing, and gave young owner Penny Chenery... Download Feature
Actors, directors, and hundreds of individuals from the horse industry walked the red carpet Oct. 3 for a special screening of the movie "Secretariat."
Jim Gaffney, the exercise rider of champions Secretariat and Riva Ridge, died the morning of June 3 at his home near Commack, Long Island, N.Y.
Shoes worn by 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat and the legendary Seabiscuit will be auctioned by Illinois-based auction house Mastronet Inc. starting April 5.
Brief news from racing and breeding industries.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Undrafted Opens Season in Shakertown
- Suffolk Expected to Apply for 2015 Live Dates
- Kobe's Back Returns East for Commonwealth
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea
- Officials: Penalty System Key Part of Program
- Judy the Beauty Heads Busy Work Tab for Ward
- Peace and War Returns for Ashland