Owners are seldom at a loss for words but when Marvin and Joel Cunningham were informed that their 2-year-old homebred filly Tiger Eyed had given birth they were speechless.
Welcome to the "new normal." No red beans and rice. No oysters on the half shell. No cornbread dressing. The 134th season of Thoroughbred racing at Fair Grounds in New Orleans opened Nov. 19 in, of all places, Shreveport, Louisiana.
Ever since the Oct. 15 purchase of Fair Grounds by Churchill Downs Inc., new track president Randy Soth hasn't been getting much sleep.
By Gary McMillen -- It all started one morning in the backstretch kitchen. Chaplain Les Riggs sat down and had breakfast with me. He wanted to start an English class for the Hispanic workers. He was frustrated. Nobody was willing to help. Fools rush in -- I volunteered on the spot. Riggs almost choked on his bacon.
Most Popular Stories
- Old Friends Cabin Creek Welcomes Be Bullish
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- Lopez Family Faces Off at Golden Gate
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Miss Temple City on Schedule for Royal Ascot
- MarketWatch: McPeek on Yearling Selection
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Woodbine Plans Events to Send Off Loiselle
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate