Owners are seldom at a loss for words but when Marvin and Joel Cunningham were informed that their 2-year-old homebred filly Tiger Eyed had given birth they were speechless.
Welcome to the "new normal." No red beans and rice. No oysters on the half shell. No cornbread dressing. The 134th season of Thoroughbred racing at Fair Grounds in New Orleans opened Nov. 19 in, of all places, Shreveport, Louisiana.
Ever since the Oct. 15 purchase of Fair Grounds by Churchill Downs Inc., new track president Randy Soth hasn't been getting much sleep.
By Gary McMillen -- It all started one morning in the backstretch kitchen. Chaplain Les Riggs sat down and had breakfast with me. He wanted to start an English class for the Hispanic workers. He was frustrated. Nobody was willing to help. Fools rush in -- I volunteered on the spot. Riggs almost choked on his bacon.
Most Popular Stories
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- I'm a Chatterbox Sweeps to FG Oaks Victory
- Champion Groupie Doll Delivers Premature Foal
- The Big Beast, 3YOs Prep for Wood Day Starts
- Streaking Chocolate Ride Wires Mervin Muniz
- Lady Lara Makes Late Run to Win Honey Fox
- War Correspondent Captures Appleton
- Secret Circle Powers Home in Golden Shaheen
- Dortmund Logs Final Work for SA Derby