A filly by Horse Chestnut brought $40,000 to top the Oct. 1 Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Sale fall yearling auction.
Art McFadden, President of MEC Oregon Racing will resign his post on Friday, it was announced Dec. 30.
Buddy Gil, who finished sixth in the May 3 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), is recovering from a May 7 surgery in which two bone chips were removed, one from his right knee, and one from his left ankle.
Environmentalists notified Portland Meadows on Nov. 27 that they intend to sue the racetrack for illegally discharging manure into the Columbia Slough. An official with Magna Entertainment, which owns the Oregon racetrack's operating rights, called the lawsuit unfair and said the company has been working closely with the Environmental Protection Agency since assuming control in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off