The Illinois Racing Board, over the strong objections of horsemen groups, approved an application from Maywood Park July 25 to act as its own Advance Deposit Wagering licensee.
Requests for 2009 racing dates in Illinois show a few overlaps, including a month between Arlington Park and Hawthorne Race Course in late summer and early fall.
Churchill Downs Inc. reported a gain in earnings for 2002 but indicated it's looking to sell Ellis Park, the western Kentucky racetrack it purchased in 1998 as part of a $22 million package. The company's financial statement for 2002 was released Feb. 11.
The owners of Balmoral Park and Maywood Park in Illinois are interested in purchasing Ellis Park, the western Kentucky racetrack owned by Churchill Downs Inc., according to published reports.
An ongoing entry-box boycott by Illinois harness horsemen shut down live racing at Balmoral Park and Maywood Park for the first two weeks of 2003, with no end in sight and potential implications for the scheduled resumption of Thoroughbred racing in March.
The Illinois Racing Board Monday turned back an effort by Maywood Park Trotting Association and Balmoral Racing Club to strip the National Jockey Club of its intertrack wagering licenses in Peru, Joliet, and Crestwood.
An Illinois appeals court has upheld action by the state’s racing board to award harness dates for this year to Balmoral Park and Maywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Red Reveur Upsets Hanshin Juvenile Fillies
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win