Eric Johnston, currently vice president of racing/racing secretary at Sam Houston Race Park, has been named director of racing operations for Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Fifty Stars is one of two Steve Asmussen trainees slated for the Gold Cup, while Dallas Keen and James Jackson try to replicate the 2000 win by Allen's Oop with Valhol.
Maxxam, the industry conglomerate that owns Sam Houston Race Park, posted a huge first quarter loss after its aluminum operation declared bankruptcy. The bankruptcy is not expected to affect racing operations.
Maxxam, the owner of Sam Houston Race Park, reported a gain of $4.08 per share for its third quarter compared with a loss of $2.47 per share reported a year ago. The diversified company's racing operations reported a slight increase in sales, but the gains were offset by increased costs.
Churchill Downs' board of directors authorized the repurchase of up to 55,000 shares. The buy-back was authorized to help stablize the company's stock price and contribute to stablizing the market overall. Despite financial experts pleas to investors that they should not react to the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington D.C., the major stock markets sustained significant losses.
Maxxam, the parent company for Sam Houston Race Park, reported gains in fourth quarter earnings. For the year, however, earnings were cut in half.
Most Popular Stories
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Tiz Love First Winner for Slew's Tiznow
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Tired After Travers, 'Classic' Ahead
- NY Fan Forum: Focus on Customer Service
- Navarro Mulling BC Dirt Mile for Private Zone
- Travers Day Handle Just Shy of $50 Million
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Loss Can't Derail Pharoah Phenomenon
- Island Town Crushes Smarty Jones Field