Eblouissante, a half sister to Horse of the Year Zenyatta, will make her long-awaited return to the races during opening week at Saratoga Race Course.
Eric Kronfeld, who made his mark in both the music and racing inudstries, died May 15 of cancer in New York. Kronfeld, under his Maverick Productions, bred Zenyatta, one of the most popular racehorses in history.
Zenyatta's half sister remained unbeaten with a workmanlike victory at Santa Anita Park.
The daughter of Bernardini emulated her half sister, sweeping to the lead and drawing off.
In what could be her final start in California, the great Zenyatta remained undefeated with her 18th consecutive win in rather routine fashion by a neck in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 7 at Del Mar.
Vertigineux, the 2008 Kentucky Broodmare of the Year, produced a Kentucky-bred filly by Henrythenavigator March 4.
If you enjoy the suspense that can come with the selction of Eclipse Award winners, just skip right past the category of older female, dominated by Zenyatta the same way she has ruled the racetrack, dispatching foes with unfailing consistency.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- OBS April First Session Soars
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo