Neck 'n Neck came through with his second straight win at Churchill Downs when he captured the Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds by 7 1/4 lengths over Stealcase.
An injury suffered during a June 13 workout has taken Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider's Bind out of consideration for the Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs and could sideline him for the rest of the year.
Louis Herrmann Jr., whose grandfather, Col. Matt J. Winn, built the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) into America's greatest race, died Aug. 22 in Louisville.
Changing Weather, with Robby Albarado aboard, rallied from sixth and held off Court Folly in a duel of stretch runners to score a head victory in Saturday's $109,800 Matt Winn for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Razor, ridden by Mike Smith, seized the lead soon after the start and was never seriously threatened en route to a four-length win over Crimson Stag in the $109,700 Matt Winn Stakes for 3-year-olds Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Taking advantage of a red-hot pace, Stan E. Fulton's Fire Slam and jockey Pat Day smoked past the leaders on the outside in mid-stretch and cruised to an easy 5 1/4-length victory in the $103,499 Matt Winn Stakes for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Stan Fulton's Fire Slam, a one-time Kentucky Derby (gr. I) hopeful and runner-up in Keeneland's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II), heads a small but strong field entered in Saturday's third running of the $100,000-added Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs.
Dr. Matt Winn Williamson, whose grandfather, Matt Winn, built the Kentucky Derby into America's greatest race, died June 6
Multiple graded stakes winner Posse leads a field of seven 3-year-old colts set for Saturday's $100,000 Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Bettys Bambino Wins Daytona in Stakes Debut
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Cowtown Cat Moves to Ohio's Mapleton for 2015
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely