Goffs managing director Matt Mitchell expressed pleasure as the Irish bloodstock company's first Kempton Park Racecourse breeze-up sale generated over £2 million (pounds) in business with an average of £31,908.
Goffs' most successful year ended on a high note Dec. 8 when the one-day December Flat Sale concluded with a 42% increase in turnover from last year.
The Society of International Thoroughbred Auctioneers, which is an association of the world's leading bloodstock auction houses, has approved the promotion of Japan to Part I of the International Cataloguing Standards.
The tax-free status of stallion income in Ireland will be abolished, as had been widely predicted, but not until July 31, 2008. Ireland's finance minister Brian Cowen announced the decision during his budget speech before the Irish parliament on Dec. 7.
The lure of valuable sale races helped Ireland's premier yearling auction put a couple of disappointing recent renewals behind itself with a hugely successful revamped Goffs Orby Million Sale Sept. 26-28.
Tattersalls' flagship Houghton Yearling Sale was axed Friday as the Newmarket, England bloodstock auction company announced a resolution of the long-running dispute over sales dates with Irish rival Goffs.
Following discussions between the two Europea auction companies, Goffs and Tattersalls (Ireland) have agreed to swap the sales dates for the 2003 Goffs Orby and Challenge sale and the Tattersalls (Ireland) September yearling sale.
In a toughly-worded press release issued on Friday, January 17, Tattersalls and Tattersalls (Ireland) chairman Edmond Mahony slammed main rival Goffs for forcing them to reconsider previously announced new sales dates for 2003.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Del Mar Shifting Turf Races After Breakdowns
- Guys Reward Finds Path to Oceanport Tally
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker
- Ageless Equals Course Record in Royal North
- Majestic River Rolls to Molly Pitcher Win