Piers Pottinger's Irish bred Wixoe Express looked beaten in upper stretch by pacesetter Expresso Bay in Saturday's $84,900 Tanforan Handicap, but responded under jockey Matt Garcia to pull away in the final furlong for a two-length victory on a yielding Golden Gate Fields' turf course.
Matt Garcia, who has been a frequent rider on the Southern California circuit for trainers Mel and Warren Stute, Barry Abrams and Douglas Peterson over the past several years, is taking his tack eastward.
Jockey Joe Steiner, reached by phone Friday morning at Arcadia Methodist Hospital where he is recovering from injuries suffered in a spill in Wednesday's sixth race, said he was scheduled to undergo surgery at 5 p.m.
Jockey Joe Steiner was in stable condition at Arcadia Methodist Hospital Thursday after suffering multiple injuries in a spill in Wednesday's sixth race at Santa Anita.
Percentages favor Mel Stute running Buffythecenterfold in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) at Arlington Park on Oct. 26.
Stronach Stables and Allen Brian's Buffythecenterfold ran her undefeated string to three races with a game win over rival Tricks Her by 3/4-length in the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale