Piers Pottinger's Irish bred Wixoe Express looked beaten in upper stretch by pacesetter Expresso Bay in Saturday's $84,900 Tanforan Handicap, but responded under jockey Matt Garcia to pull away in the final furlong for a two-length victory on a yielding Golden Gate Fields' turf course.
Matt Garcia, who has been a frequent rider on the Southern California circuit for trainers Mel and Warren Stute, Barry Abrams and Douglas Peterson over the past several years, is taking his tack eastward.
Jockey Joe Steiner, reached by phone Friday morning at Arcadia Methodist Hospital where he is recovering from injuries suffered in a spill in Wednesday's sixth race, said he was scheduled to undergo surgery at 5 p.m.
Jockey Joe Steiner was in stable condition at Arcadia Methodist Hospital Thursday after suffering multiple injuries in a spill in Wednesday's sixth race at Santa Anita.
Percentages favor Mel Stute running Buffythecenterfold in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) at Arlington Park on Oct. 26.
Stronach Stables and Allen Brian's Buffythecenterfold ran her undefeated string to three races with a game win over rival Tricks Her by 3/4-length in the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap