In a near replay of last month's Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III), Master Rick galloped past stablemate Prayer for Relief in the stretch to win the $300,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) by one length May 27.
Richard Davis' Master Rick will try for a third straight win overall and second straight graded stakes score when he faces four other rivals in the $300,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) Monday, May 27.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Local hope Ol Winedrinker Who overcame some drifting in the homestretch to capture the $150,000 Zia Park Derby by 3 3/4 lengths Dec. 1 in Hobbs, N.M.
With morning line pick Private Zone scratching out of the $150,000 Zia Park Derby Dec. 1 in New Mexico, Alsvid becomes the likely favorite in the field of eight remaining sophomores.
Recent grade I winner Willy Beamin is part of a 10-horse field that includes fellow shippers Prospective and and Daddy Nose Best on the biggest day of the season at Remington Park Sept. 30.
Bourbon Courage, under a head of steam for jockey Leandro Goncalves, blew past Master Rick at mid-stretch to win the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. II) in a romp for the colt's first stakes victory Sept. 8 at Louisiana Downs.
California-based Blueskiesnrainbows, who won the grade II Swaps Stakes in the Golden State last time out, will take on eight rivals in the Super Derby at Louisiana Downs.
Richard Davis' Master Rick, far back in the one-turn Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) in his last start May 12, returns to two turns at Churchill Downs June 16 in the $100,000 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds.
Images from Oaklawn Park's 2012 Racing Festival of the South. View Slideshow
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double