On the heels of a new poll that revealed 56% of Massachusetts residents favor the expansion of gambling, state senators on Sept. 26 opened debate on a bill that has already passed the House by an overwhelming margin.
The top Republican lawmaker in the Massachusetts Senate is hoping revenue from expanded gambling will be used to lower taxes.
Management at Suffolk Downs announced Aug. 16 the track will reduce average daily purse distribution by 26% for the second half of its 2010 racing season to achieve a 13% reduction in purses for the meet.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives voted April 5 to defeat a proposal adding 8,000 slot machines to the state's four racetracks, one of which is Suffolk Downs, the historic Thoroughbred facility in East Boston.
Most Popular Stories
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- Rivals Back to Challenge Dortmund in SA Derby
- Former Claimer Chases Greatness in SA Oaks
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- The Big Beast Returns to the Big Leagues
- Frosted Looking to Rebound in Wood Memorial
- Grade II Winner Williamstown Dead at 25
- Blinkers On 'Truth Or Else' in Arkansas Derby
- Condo Commando Tops Gazelle Contenders
- Blue Grass Hopefuls Train at Keeneland