On the heels of a new poll that revealed 56% of Massachusetts residents favor the expansion of gambling, state senators on Sept. 26 opened debate on a bill that has already passed the House by an overwhelming margin.
The top Republican lawmaker in the Massachusetts Senate is hoping revenue from expanded gambling will be used to lower taxes.
Management at Suffolk Downs announced Aug. 16 the track will reduce average daily purse distribution by 26% for the second half of its 2010 racing season to achieve a 13% reduction in purses for the meet.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives voted April 5 to defeat a proposal adding 8,000 slot machines to the state's four racetracks, one of which is Suffolk Downs, the historic Thoroughbred facility in East Boston.
Most Popular Stories
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19