On the heels of a new poll that revealed 56% of Massachusetts residents favor the expansion of gambling, state senators on Sept. 26 opened debate on a bill that has already passed the House by an overwhelming margin.
The top Republican lawmaker in the Massachusetts Senate is hoping revenue from expanded gambling will be used to lower taxes.
Management at Suffolk Downs announced Aug. 16 the track will reduce average daily purse distribution by 26% for the second half of its 2010 racing season to achieve a 13% reduction in purses for the meet.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives voted April 5 to defeat a proposal adding 8,000 slot machines to the state's four racetracks, one of which is Suffolk Downs, the historic Thoroughbred facility in East Boston.
Most Popular Stories
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Schedule Announced
- Plesa Hoping to Get Lucky in Woodward
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Kentucky Downs Adds 16 Stable Cameras
- Second Purse Hike at Ohio's ThistleDown
- Big Drama Colt Leads OBS Select Session
- TOBA August Member of the Month
- Magic Touch: Human Therapist Helps Racehorses
- Travers Upset: V. E. Day Over Wicked Strong
- Limitations and Advances in Lameness Assessment