On the heels of a new poll that revealed 56% of Massachusetts residents favor the expansion of gambling, state senators on Sept. 26 opened debate on a bill that has already passed the House by an overwhelming margin.
The top Republican lawmaker in the Massachusetts Senate is hoping revenue from expanded gambling will be used to lower taxes.
Management at Suffolk Downs announced Aug. 16 the track will reduce average daily purse distribution by 26% for the second half of its 2010 racing season to achieve a 13% reduction in purses for the meet.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives voted April 5 to defeat a proposal adding 8,000 slot machines to the state's four racetracks, one of which is Suffolk Downs, the historic Thoroughbred facility in East Boston.
Most Popular Stories
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- The Influence of His Majesty
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- AHC: Bonus Depreciation Bill Passed by House
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp