Suffolk Downs, which announced in September it would no longer offer live racing and would not apply for a 2015 racing license, is expected to reverse course and apply for dates within two to three weeks.
With time running out for Suffolk Downs to continue offering full-card simulcasts, the Massachusetts House of Representatives March 26 passed a bill that extends the current rights for one more month.
The New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association posted a statement on its website Mar. 24 discounting the likelihood of a 50-day meet operated by horsemen at Suffolk Downs in 2015.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives Dec. 31 passed an amended bill that extended the simulcast rights of Suffolk Downs for 90 days to give track ownership and horsemen time to work on a plan to restore live racing.
The Massachusetts legislature Nov. 16 passed a bill authorizing casinos in the state, and Gov. Deval Patrick is expected to sign it.
Suffolk Downs has entered into what it terms a "strategic alliance" with Caesars Entertainment to bolster its chances of developing a destination resort casino should Massachusetts approved expanded gambling.
Suffolk Downs, which negotiated a new contract with the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association calling for fewer live racing days in 2011, is now seeking the legislative relief to make that possible.
Suffolk Downs prepared to resume simulcasting Jan. 3 after the approval of enabling legislation by Massachusetts lawmakers late in the day Jan. 2.
The Massachusetts horse racing industry is taking a day off Sept. 28 to show its support during a hearing in the state House of Representatives on legislation that could impact the industry.
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Tiz a Slam Heads Prince of Wales Stakes
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap