Trainer Steve Klesaris, injured in a May 18 car accident, has been released from Christiana Hospital in Wilmington, Del. and plans to return to his regular training duties this week, his wife said Monday morning.
When Gators N Bears enters the gate for Saturday's $200,000 Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico Race Course, he'll be doing more than defending his 2004 Maryland Breeders' Cup title. He'll be looking for his first win of the year against an evenly matched field of eight runners in the six-furlong race.
The Leo Nechamkin II's Gators N Bears burst through the pack on the inside in the Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) to win the $186,000 race by 1 ¼ lengths Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.
Sam-Son Farms homebred Soaring Free, winner of the Shakertown (gr. IIIT) in his most recent start, is the 121-pound highweight and probable favorite the Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) that is part of Saturday's Preakness Day card at Pimlico.
Snow Ridge got back on the winning track with a smashing 7 3/4 –length annihilation of the $200,000 Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) on the Preakness undercard at Pimlico.
Six of the seven horses headed postward for the grade III Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap are already stakes winners, so the race should prove a compelling appetizer for the main course to follow: the Preakness Stakes (gr. I). The $200,000 Maryland BCH has drawn 3-year-old Flame Thrower and 4-year-old Explicit from California, 5-year-old Istintaj from New York, and 6-year-old Crucible from Canada, plus a group of New England runners.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact
- Injury Forces Sea The Moon's Retirement
- Keeping Pace: Galileo Proving Up to Challenge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 09/16/2014
- Curlin Colt Tops Strong Keeneland Session
- Flashback Retired to Stand at Hill 'n' Dale
- Fast Anna Gets Class Relief in Gallant Bob
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion