The old warrior Evening Attire, a stakes winner at age 10 and earner of nearly $3 million, has been retired due to a suspensory injury, co-owners and breeders Tommy Kelly and Joseph and Mary Grant announced Sept. 28.
Nine-year-old gelding Evening Attire showed his best days are not behind him by winning the $104,900 Queens County Handicap (gr.III) by a head over Barcola Dec. 8 at Aqueduct.
Evening Attire showed once again that he likes Saratoga. The 6-year-old gelded son of Black Tie Affair squared off with last year's champion Funny Cide and Bowman's Band in the stretch and came home a five-length winner in the good time of 2:00.83 in the 1 1/4-mile Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Evening Attire finishes a remarkable year with an easy victory in the off-the-turf Red Smith Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Juvenile Sales Scene Moves West to Barretts
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely