Greg Nichols, chief executive of the British Horseracing Board for the past four years, will relinquish the post of running British racing's ruling body later this year.
Participants in U.S. and European racing, including some who trained for and worked closely with the late Sheikh Maktoum, have expressed surprise and sorrow over the prominent horse owner and breeder's death Wednesday of an apparent heart attack at age 62.
A ruling in the British Court Of Appeal against the British Horseracing Board has finally sunk the financial strategy being pursued by racing's rulers since 2000.
- By Mark Popham
The British Horseracing Board's future funding strategy was thrown into disarray when the European Court of Justice Nov. 9 ruled in favor of bookmaker William Hill's challenge over database rights.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out