Scrappy T will be joined by eight other 3-year-olds in a quest to become the winner of the $500,000 Indiana Derby (gr. II) Saturday at Hoosier Park.
Jockey Edgar Prado, who has won the Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) three consecutive years, won't have a chance to go down swinging for his own "Grand Slam." Prado had opportunities to ride in the $750,000 grass test for 3-year-olds but kept his commitment to ride other horses.
Racing fans will be deprived of a rematch between the top two finishers of the dramatic May 21 Preakness (gr. I) won by Afleet Alex. Trainer Robbie Bailes and owner Marshall Dowell have decided that runner-up Scrappy T will not run in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) June 11.
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Scrappy T will likely make his next start in the $1-million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) rather than the inaugural $500,000 Colonial Turf Cup, for which he is also under consideration.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Force Upsets New York Derby
- Oaklawn Improvements Include New Barn
- Filly First Winner for Here Comes Ben
- Two Share Record Price at Arqana Summer Sale
- Catalog Online for Barretts Select Sale
- Pedigree Analysis: Olympia
- Laurel Cancels Racing Due to Water Main Break
- 'Evolution of Racing' Approaches in Lexington
- Main Sequence Class of Loaded United Nations