The new Belmont Park, with a $30.7 million price tag, opened in May 1968, and while it is considered the grand dame of racing today, the architect, design, and building weren’t without controversy in its time.
Tom Durkin accepted the Big Sport of Turfdom Award Tuesday, Dec. 9, one of several presented at a lunch during the Global Symposium on Racing & Gaming sponsored by the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program.
Marshall Cassidy, the voice of racing in New York from 1979 to 1990, will return to the announcer's booth, this time at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Ariz. He will call the races at Turf Paradise beginning Oct. 25 through Nov. 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Kentucky Rescinds Dextrophan Positives