The new Belmont Park, with a $30.7 million price tag, opened in May 1968, and while it is considered the grand dame of racing today, the architect, design, and building weren’t without controversy in its time.
Tom Durkin accepted the Big Sport of Turfdom Award Tuesday, Dec. 9, one of several presented at a lunch during the Global Symposium on Racing & Gaming sponsored by the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program.
Marshall Cassidy, the voice of racing in New York from 1979 to 1990, will return to the announcer's booth, this time at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Ariz. He will call the races at Turf Paradise beginning Oct. 25 through Nov. 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Second Summer catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup