The new Belmont Park, with a $30.7 million price tag, opened in May 1968, and while it is considered the grand dame of racing today, the architect, design, and building weren’t without controversy in its time.
Tom Durkin accepted the Big Sport of Turfdom Award Tuesday, Dec. 9, one of several presented at a lunch during the Global Symposium on Racing & Gaming sponsored by the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program.
Marshall Cassidy, the voice of racing in New York from 1979 to 1990, will return to the announcer's booth, this time at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Ariz. He will call the races at Turf Paradise beginning Oct. 25 through Nov. 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Finest City Entered for 2017 Debut in Santa Monica
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic
- Uncle Lino Back to Work at Santa Anita
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Sunshine Millions Cuts After FTBOA Withholds Payment
- Eclipse Awards to be Televised on TVG2
- Reporting Star to Again Try Sunshine Millions Turf