Melanie Stubblefield, clerk of the course at Hollywood Park for the past 20 years, has usually remained neutral during the thousands of races for which she has handled the paperwork. But the veteran official admits she will have a cheering interest Saturday in the $250,000 Californian (gr. II).
With jockey Jose Valdivia Jr. in the distinctive Chicago Cubs uniform silks of owners Ron and Susie Anson, Tali'sluckybusride launched a winning bid on the second turn en route to a 4 1/2-length win in Sunday's $250,000 Oak Leaf Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita.
American runners John's Call, Timboroa, Euchre, and Lord Sterling had their first serious exercise at Tokyo race course on Thursday in preparation for the Japan Racing Association's two major group I international races: the inaugural $2.4 million Japan Cup Dirt at 1 5/16 miles on Saturday and the $4.4 million Japan Cup run at a mile and a half over the turf on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin, Classic Empire Work at Churchill Downs
- Stellar Wind Remains on Schedule for Distaff
- Three Rules Puts in Final Juvenile Work
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- The Women Behind the Camera Have BC Ties
- Chrome BC Sweepstakes Winner Named
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- Smile for Daddy
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Den's Legacy to Stand at Mighty Acres