Mahogany Lane, an unraced mare from an accomplished family, pulled down the top price at the Melnyk Racing Stables broodmares and weanlings dispersal July 14 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky in Lexington.
Trainer Todd Pletcher already had a potential starter for the Aug. 20 Alabama (gr. I) in Spun Sugar, winner of the Black Eyed Susan (gr. II), but the leading Saratoga trainer believes you can never have too many top fillies and is considering sending Indian Vale to challenge her stablemate.
The first foal for Eugene Melnyk's grade I winner Marley Vale (by Forty Niner) is an A.P. filly foaled Feb. 2 at Windfields Farm in Ontario, Canada.
Graded stakes-winning distaffers Marley Vale and Pico Teneriffe have been retired from racing, according to owner Eugene Melnyk. Marley Vale, whose big win came in the 1999 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, will be bred to A.P. Indy, and Pico Teneriffe will visit the court of Danzig.
Most Popular Stories
- Almoonqith Wins at Meydan, Cavalryman Injured
- Illinois Racing Board Appointments Announced
- Extra Two Days Approved for Oaklawn Season
- Pride of Dubai Wins Blue Diamond Thriller
- Shamal Wind, Suavito Sprint to Caulfield Wins
- Another Chapter for John Nerud
- Oaklawn Park Cancels Feb. 28 Racing
- Devine Aida Aces Sloppy Herecomesthebride
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse