A group of four high-profile owners banded together April 26 to purchase a well-bred son of Medaglia d'Oro for $850,000 to become the new sale-topper at the Ocala Breeders’ Sales spring 2-year-olds in training sale.
Mahogany Lane, an unraced mare from an accomplished family, pulled down the top price at the Melnyk Racing Stables broodmares and weanlings dispersal July 14 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky in Lexington.
Trainer Todd Pletcher already had a potential starter for the Aug. 20 Alabama (gr. I) in Spun Sugar, winner of the Black Eyed Susan (gr. II), but the leading Saratoga trainer believes you can never have too many top fillies and is considering sending Indian Vale to challenge her stablemate.
The first foal for Eugene Melnyk's grade I winner Marley Vale (by Forty Niner) is an A.P. filly foaled Feb. 2 at Windfields Farm in Ontario, Canada.
Graded stakes-winning distaffers Marley Vale and Pico Teneriffe have been retired from racing, according to owner Eugene Melnyk. Marley Vale, whose big win came in the 1999 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, will be bred to A.P. Indy, and Pico Teneriffe will visit the court of Danzig.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture