Mahogany Lane, an unraced mare from an accomplished family, pulled down the top price at the Melnyk Racing Stables broodmares and weanlings dispersal July 14 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky in Lexington.
Trainer Todd Pletcher already had a potential starter for the Aug. 20 Alabama (gr. I) in Spun Sugar, winner of the Black Eyed Susan (gr. II), but the leading Saratoga trainer believes you can never have too many top fillies and is considering sending Indian Vale to challenge her stablemate.
The first foal for Eugene Melnyk's grade I winner Marley Vale (by Forty Niner) is an A.P. filly foaled Feb. 2 at Windfields Farm in Ontario, Canada.
Graded stakes-winning distaffers Marley Vale and Pico Teneriffe have been retired from racing, according to owner Eugene Melnyk. Marley Vale, whose big win came in the 1999 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, will be bred to A.P. Indy, and Pico Teneriffe will visit the court of Danzig.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby