South Africa's reigning champion sprinter What A Winter was shockingly defeated in the final start of his illustrious career, finishing third in the Mercury Sprint (SAf-I) July 13 at Clairwood Park.
During a day of high prices that helped lift average, a son of successful South African sire Silvano topped the opening session of the 2013 Cape Premier Yearling Sale, the first sale of the year in South Africa.
South African Horse of the Year Variety Club, narrowly beaten in last year's L'Ormarins Queen's Plate (SAf-I), would not be denied this year when scoring a clear victory Jan. 12 at Kenilworth in Cape Town.
Most Popular Stories
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 2-Year-Olds
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Tests in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Tattersalls Ends Year With Soaring Figures
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?