Two-time South African Horse Of The Year Variety Club has been retired from racing and will return home to South Africa to take up stallion duties at Klawervlei Stud in 2015.
Legislate was named South Africa's Horse of the Year at a glittering awards ceremony in Johannesburg Aug. 13.
Progeny of leading sire Var dominated South Africa's premier day of sprints at Scottsville racecourse May 24.
Boldly overcoming his wide draw, South Africa's Variety Club made all the pace and won the $1 million Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) over defending victor Soft Falling Rain March 29 at Meydan.
Runner-up in the same race last year, Hill Fifty Four conquered a high-class field in Cape Town's most famous and fashionable horse race.
Favored Happy Valentine proved a classy winner of South Africa's Allan Robertson Championship May 25, one of four group I sprints at 1,200 meters at Scottsville Racecourse in Kwa Zulu Natal.
Most Popular Stories
- PA Breeders Offering Stallion Season Auction
- Ties Atop TJC's Experimental Free Handicaps
- Talented Field Assembles for the Sam F. Davis
- NJ Breeders Holding Online Season Auction
- Belle Gallantey Looks for More in Ladies 'Cap
- Measuring Horses' Skin Temperature Changes Underwater
- Filly by The Factor Tops OBS Winter Opener
- Kentucky Approves Racing License for Blasi
- Fillies Vie for Grade I Glory in Las Virgenes
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame