Two-time South African Horse Of The Year Variety Club has been retired from racing and will return home to South Africa to take up stallion duties at Klawervlei Stud in 2015.
Legislate was named South Africa's Horse of the Year at a glittering awards ceremony in Johannesburg Aug. 13.
Progeny of leading sire Var dominated South Africa's premier day of sprints at Scottsville racecourse May 24.
Boldly overcoming his wide draw, South Africa's Variety Club made all the pace and won the $1 million Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) over defending victor Soft Falling Rain March 29 at Meydan.
Runner-up in the same race last year, Hill Fifty Four conquered a high-class field in Cape Town's most famous and fashionable horse race.
Favored Happy Valentine proved a classy winner of South Africa's Allan Robertson Championship May 25, one of four group I sprints at 1,200 meters at Scottsville Racecourse in Kwa Zulu Natal.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- Tapit Filly Tops Record F-T October Sale
- Declaration of War Moving to Ashford Stud
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- Queen's Plate Winner Lexie Lou in Autumn Miss
- F-T October Yearling Sale Recap Day 3
- Early Thoughts on the BC Pre-Entries
- Top 3-Year-Olds Abound in BC Classic