Dr. Gary Wilson, Kentucky's chief racetrack veterinarian, was given a letter Dec. 23 stating his services were no longer needed, according to Mark York, executive director of communications for the state Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet, which oversees the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority.
Kentucky chief veterinarian Mitzi Fisher served notice July 13 of her intent to retire, according to Mark York, executive director of communications and public outreach for the Environmental and Public Protection Cabinet, which oversees the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority.
The search for an executive director, jockey helmet issues are keeping members of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority very busy.
A decision by the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority Monday to temporarily suspend a state rule requiring jockeys to wear a specific type of helmet will not immediately go into effect.
- By Victor Ryan
Jesse Skees, who serves as executive director of the Office of Inspector General for the Kentucky Natural Resources and Environmental Public Protection Authority, will be the acting executive director of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority until a permanent replacement is found.
Bernie Hettel, executive director of the now-defunct Kentucky Racing Commission for nearly 20 years, submitted his resignation on Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out