Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile will be a key race in determining whether throat surgery earlier this year helped Park Avenue Ball, who will be running at his home track.
Charles J. Hesse III, a successful New Jersey breeder/owner, died Nov. 13 in New York after a short illness.
Charles Hesse III and his wife Marianne, who have raced as Char-Mari Stable at Monmouth Park for several decades, were named the 2003 recipients of the Virgil (Buddy) Raines Distinguished Achievement Award. Mr. and Mrs. Hesse were honored in winner's circle ceremonies on Aug. 31.
Most Popular Stories
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Creator Turns in Final Kentucky Derby Breeze
- Gun Runner Wraps Up Major Pre-Derby Work
- Breeder Lucy Bassett Dies at 87
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Asmussen Breezes Four Oaks Hopefuls
- Nyquist Top 3YO in Final Pre-Derby NTRA Poll
- Ohio Steps Up in American Stakes
- Hermann Named Golden Gate Announcer