Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile will be a key race in determining whether throat surgery earlier this year helped Park Avenue Ball, who will be running at his home track.
Charles J. Hesse III, a successful New Jersey breeder/owner, died Nov. 13 in New York after a short illness.
Charles Hesse III and his wife Marianne, who have raced as Char-Mari Stable at Monmouth Park for several decades, were named the 2003 recipients of the Virgil (Buddy) Raines Distinguished Achievement Award. Mr. and Mrs. Hesse were honored in winner's circle ceremonies on Aug. 31.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- Upstart Breeder Out of Hospital, CD Bound
- Lenny's Place: Kentucky Derby Edition
- NJ Casino Simulcast Bill Signed Into Law