Marimascus, a two-time stakes winner, died March 16 because of complications from old age.
On the day of the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), the 2005 winner of that race, Buzzards Bay, continued his comeback story with a romping 6 1/2-length win in the $500,000 Oaklawn Park Handicap (gr. II) Saturday before 29,841 in Hot Springs, Ark.
Looking for his first victory since last year's Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), Buzzards Bay kept the pressure on the speedy Trickey Trevor from the outset and then pulled away in the stretch to win the $150,000 All American Handicap (gr. III) Monday at Golden Gate Fields.
Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buzzards Bay was purchased by Gary and Wendy Broad for $725,000 Monday at the conclusion of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky yearling sale in Lexington, Ky.
Students of speed figures may turn up their noses at the 2005 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) results--too slow and too lacking in class, with a 30-1 shot leading the way home. Yet the winner, Buzzards Bay, has done little wrong this season, and he has a pedigree that suggests things will only get better with maturity and distance.
Trainer Jeff Mullins became the first trainer to win three consecutive editions of the Santa Anita Derby when his 30-1 outsider Buzzards Bay registered a gutty score by a half-length over 64-1 shot General John B Saturday.
Marco Bay, whose son Buzzards Bay won the Jan. 15 Golden Gate Derby, has been returned to Hidden Hill Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Multiple stakes winner Marco Bay, sire of stakes winner Bay Street Gal, has been relocated to Joseph Vaughan's Ballyvaughan Farm near Oxford, Pa.
Most Popular Stories
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Miss Behaviour Cuts Back for Prioress Run
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Clearly Now Faces Class Field in Forego