Hall of Fame conditioner Ron McAnally is taking a page out of the John Henry training manual in preparing Eclair de Lune for the Emirates Airlines Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT).
Arlington Park chairman Richard L. Duchossois, who named the $750,000 Beverly D. Stakes (gr. IT) for his wife, won the race for the first time when his Eclair de Lune rolled to victory over Hot Cha Cha.
French-based sire Marchand de Sable died at Haras de Bernesq at age 19, according to a Racingpost.com report.
Marchand d'Or cut through near darkness to land the rescheduled Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp (Fr-I) by 11/2-lengths Oct. 5.
Stoneside, a bit of a disappointment since being purchased privately in France by Marsha Naify last year, woke up in a big way when he easily captured the $112,400 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 19.
Marchand D'Or showed a sharp turn of foot when easily defeating 16 rivals in the Prix Maurice de Gheest (Fr-I) on Sunday at Deauville.
Commercante overtook favored Punctilious in deep stretch to win the $607,500 E.P. Taylor (Can-I) for fillies and mares at foggy, showery Woodbine Sunday for her first North American stakes victory.
Despite a steep step up in company in Monday's $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. IIT) at 1 1/4 mile on the Santa Anita grass, jockey Patrick Valenzuela is confident Harrisand, the French-bred 5-year-old trained by Bobby Frankel, can handle the competition.
Most Popular Stories
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Keeneland September Sale: 4,164 Yearlings
- Delaware Jockey Facing Charges After Shooting
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- For Now, Nine Expected to Race in WV Derby
- Korean-Bred Not Just a Novelty at F-T Sale
- WV Stakeholders Seek Racing Revenue Boost
- HRRN On-Site for Haskell, Saratoga Stakes
- Real Solution Acquired by Calumet Farm