The Illinois Racing Board approved this year's Chicago-area Thoroughbred stakes schedule Jan. 31 despite strong opposition by horsemen to the continuation of one race.
Without action during a one-day session on Jan. 29, the Illinois Racing Board will be without funding to regulate a full season of live racing and will implement a doomsday schedule.
The 2014 Illinois live racing schedule likely will be trimmed back significantly as a result of revenue shortfalls, the Illinois Racing Board indicated Sept. 11.
The Illinois Racing Board on May 21 took the first, tentative step toward cutting back the state's racing schedule in light of a looming funding shortage and legislative inaction on corrective measures.
At least two of the four companies conducting advance deposit wagering in Illinois are shutting down operations for Illinois residents because that form of wagering is now illegal in the Land of Lincoln.
At least three of four major advance deposit wagering companies continue to take bets from Illinois residents even though the action is illegal as of the beginning of the year, the Illinois Racing Board said Jan. 3.
Following a deal that ended a labor dispute between the Illinois Racing Board and state employees and restored Fairmount Park's 52 race dates for 2010, two horse racing officials reflected on the aftermath of the situation.
Santa won't be bringing any $40,000 checks to the people holding consolation tickets in the Breeders' Cup Ultra Pick Six.
The Illinois Racing Board, without prior notice and over the angry objections of some track operators, on Nov. 12 slapped an immediate ban on wagers involving more than three races. It also put off licensing two tote companies for next year.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Munirah Arrives Late for Boiling Springs Win
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5