Bart Evans' homebred Wasted Tears scored her fifth consecutive win--this one by far her biggest--as she went wire-to-wire under Rajiv Maragh holding off champion Forever Together by a half-length in the Jenny Wiley.
Interference in deep stretch cost Juddmonte Farms a chance to win their own race, as their English homebred Proviso crossed the wire first in the $500,000 Juddmonte Spinster (gr. I) but was disqualified for veering out sharply inside the sixteenth-pole. The disqualification gave the victory to Brushwood Stable's Mushka, who crossed the wire second by 2 1/4 lengths, but likely would have gone by Proviso had her path not been impeded.
Rite Moment benefited from a clean start in Aqueduct's $150,000 Distaff Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) March 22, wrapping up her fourth win from five starts over the inner track.
Jockey Ramon Dominguez set a single-season record for wins on Aqueduct's inner track when he rode Winning Move Stable's Oedipus O'Neal to victory for trainer Gary Contessa in the fourth race on Aqueduct's March 15 card.
Bisnalth Parbod's 3-year-old colt Johannesburg Star worked six furlongs in 1:12 1/5 Sunday morning at Gulfstream Park in preparation for his longshot bid in Saturday's $300,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II).
Aqueduct stewards hit Rajiv Maragh with a 15-day ban for his role in Friday's spill that hospitalized Pedro Monterrey Jr.
Friday's opener at Aqueduct was rocked by a serious spill, the second in as many days since the inner dirt track opened on Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Muhtafal Retired from Stud in South Africa
- Coltimus Prime Versus Ami's Holiday Again
- TVG Sweepstakes Offers Melbourne Cup Trip
- TimeformUS: The G2 Pennsylvania Derby
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Horseman Tom Harbut Dies at Age 94
- Demonstrative Narrow Victor in Lonesome Glory
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion