A filly from the first crop of European champion and classic winner Makfi sold for the highest price of 210,000 ($280,166 in U.S. funds) on the third day of the Arqana Deauville August yearling sale Aug. 19.
For the second year in a row, owner Martin Schwartz returned to the Eclipse Awards podium to receive a trophy in the female grass horse category, thanks to Zagora.
The Arqana breeding stock sale concluded Dec. 11 in Deauville with a new benchmark in overall total receipts for the four-day auction that was bolstered by strong numbers at the top end of the market.
Wealthy buyers' enthusiasm for the young and the beautiful fueled the market again during the second session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Royally bred Changing Skies, a graded stakes-winning daughter of Sadler's Wells, brought $4.2 million during the Nov. 7 session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale from Mandore International Agency.
Demand was strong for quality young mares and broodmare prospects as the Keeneland November breeding stock sale opened its 11-day run in Lexington.
A Galileo filly, which is a full sister to 2012 Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-I) winner Was, topped the second session of Book 1 of the Tattersalls October yearling sale. She commanded 1.5 million guineas.
A son of Sea The Stars topped Part 1 of the Arqana Deauville August yearling sale in France by bringing 1.2 million euros ($1,479,740 in U.S. funds) during the second and final session.
Most Popular Stories
- Inglis Reports Productive Four-Day Auction
- Williamson Joins American Horse Council Staff
- Health Zone: Nutrition & Yearling Sales Prep
- Mr. Z Camp Still Undecided on Preakness
- Southwest Regional: Big Arm In the Barn
- Old English Rancho Owner Johnston Dies at 77
- Mubtaahij to Aim for Belmont Stakes
- New Injury Diagnosis for International Star
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby