Split divisions of the Oceanside Stakes and a 10-race card with 98 entries await racing fans July 17 as Del Mar kicks off its 74th summer season in northern San Diego County.
Our Double Play will try to extend his win streak to three races when the Grand Slam colt faces six other 3-year-olds in the $250,000 Iowa Derby (gr. III) June 29 at Prairie Meadows.
Tiz a Minister, on the mend from a foot bruise a month ago, rebounded for his first graded stakes victory with an eye-catching drive along the inside in the $100,750 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) June 2 at Hollywood Park.
Den's Legacy, taken off the Triple Crown trail by trainer Bob Baffert after a sixth-place finish in the Arkansas Derby (gr. I), should find the company more to his liking in the $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) June 2.
With his dominating 3 1/2-length allowance score going 1 1/16 miles March 15, War Academy is ready to join the Derby party, according to both Bob Baffert and Mike Smith.
Pete Denk and Frank Angst handicap the El Camino Real Derby and Mac Diarmida Stakes. watch video
California Derby champion Zeewat will face eight rivals, including a pair of colts trained by three-time Kentucky Derby winner Bob Baffert, in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields Feb. 16.
Odds-on favorite Goldencents got his start on the Triple Crown trail off to a solid start with a 1 1/2-length victory in the $100,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 5 at Santa Anita Park.
The Triple Crown season at Santa Anita Park begins Jan. 5 with the Sham Stakes (gr. III) led by Goldencents, recent winner of the $1 million Delta Downs Jackpot (gr. III) and runner-up in the Champagne Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney