Thomas P. Harbut, an accomplished horseman and the son of Man o' War's groom, died Sept. 15 in Lexington at age 94.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
If the Man o' War line is to extend far into the current century, it will almost certainly rely on the success of Tiznow as a sire of sires.
In the fourth of 11 installments on previous Triple Crown winners, here is an excerpt from The Blood-Horse issue of June 12, 1937, on War Admiral winning the Belmont Stakes to complete the Triple Crown.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Descending from a full sister to Man o'War, this colt has the pedigree to be in contention for the 2011 Triple Crown -- but he has plenty of competition, even from within his own barn.
Reigning "Horse of the Year" Curlin worked an easy half-mile over the main track at Churchill Downs July 7 in preparation for what trainer Steve Asmussen plans as the colt's debut on turf this weekend.
Who is the Greatest Thoroughbred of All-Time? We've reached the Semi-Finals. Secretariat vs. Citation; Man o' War vs. Seattle Slew Vote Now!
Epalo appeared to be home free in the late stages of the $500,000 Man o'War, but Michael Tabor's Magistretti, last at the top of the stretch, flew down the middle of the track to win going away on yielding turf at Belmont Park Saturday.
Darley Stable's Lunar Sovereign, guided by Richard Migliore, unleashed an explosive move while wide on the final turn and rolled on to a 2 3/4-length win in the $500,000 Man o'War (gr. IT) at Belmont Park Saturday.
In its 44-year history, only two horses, Majesty's Prince and Solar Splendor, have won back-to-back runnings of the 1 3/8-mile Man o' War (gr. IT). Seven-year-old gray gelding With Anticipation will try to become the third in Saturdays' turf feature.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot