The $100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. III) ended tragically for the victorious Bobina, who broke down a stride past the wire and was euthanized May 5 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Bobby Frankel will saddle another morning line favorite Saturday for Juddmonte Farm at Churchill Downs when homebred Heat Haze, unbeaten in two U.S. races, takes on a full field in the $100,000-added CITGO Distaff Turf Mile (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares.
Jockey Jose Santos brought Stay Forever from far back to triumph by 1 1/4-length over Cellars Shiraz in the $350,000 Franks Farm Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf Saturday at Gulfstream.
Jockey Cornelio Velasquez, the leading rider at Calder Race Course, guided Cellars Shiraz to a 2 ½-length victory over Maliziosa in Saturday's $200,000 Calder Oaks.
Riskaverse is the sole graded stakes winner among a field of 11 expected to start Sunday in the $150,000 Lake Placid Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga.
Cyclorama, a leading turf filly in the East, was scheduled to be flown from New York on June 28 to join the cast for the inaugural $500,000 American Oaks for 3-year-old fillies at 1 14-miles on the turf. The race will be run at Hollywood Park on July 6.
Maliziosa, a Florida-bred daughter of Dynaformer, rallied in the middle of the turf course to post a 1 1/2-length triumph over favored Cellars Shiraz in the $100,000-added Edgewood Stakes, the first stake on the Kentucky Oaks card at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact
- Curlin Colt Tops Strong Keeneland Session
- Flashback Retired to Stand at Hill 'n' Dale
- Fast Anna Gets Class Relief in Gallant Bob
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Three-Time Grade I Winner Behrens Dies
- Equine Encephalitis Reported in New York
- Oversight Board Reviews NYRA Finances