The $100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. III) ended tragically for the victorious Bobina, who broke down a stride past the wire and was euthanized May 5 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Bobby Frankel will saddle another morning line favorite Saturday for Juddmonte Farm at Churchill Downs when homebred Heat Haze, unbeaten in two U.S. races, takes on a full field in the $100,000-added CITGO Distaff Turf Mile (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares.
Jockey Jose Santos brought Stay Forever from far back to triumph by 1 1/4-length over Cellars Shiraz in the $350,000 Franks Farm Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf Saturday at Gulfstream.
Jockey Cornelio Velasquez, the leading rider at Calder Race Course, guided Cellars Shiraz to a 2 ½-length victory over Maliziosa in Saturday's $200,000 Calder Oaks.
Riskaverse is the sole graded stakes winner among a field of 11 expected to start Sunday in the $150,000 Lake Placid Handicap (gr. IIT) at Saratoga.
Cyclorama, a leading turf filly in the East, was scheduled to be flown from New York on June 28 to join the cast for the inaugural $500,000 American Oaks for 3-year-old fillies at 1 14-miles on the turf. The race will be run at Hollywood Park on July 6.
Maliziosa, a Florida-bred daughter of Dynaformer, rallied in the middle of the turf course to post a 1 1/2-length triumph over favored Cellars Shiraz in the $100,000-added Edgewood Stakes, the first stake on the Kentucky Oaks card at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Prominent Sire Beau Genius Dies at 29
- R Free Roll Leads the Way in Honorable Miss
- Grade II Winners to Battle in WV Derby
- Emperors Palace 2YO Sale Set for August
- No Worries for Paquette in First Race Call
- Wilkins to Direct Calumet Stallion Division
- 'The Chief' in Florida Rather Than Saratoga
- Travers or Pennsylvania Derby Next for Bayern
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- As Revenue Drops, NY Casinos Get Extra Hours