A record price for a 2-year-old sold at public auction in Australia was established Thursday when a Dehere colt was sold for AUS$825,000 during the Magic Millions Gold Coast horses in training sale.
Starcraft, a group I winner in both hemispheres, will stand the 2006 Northern Hemisphere season at David and Patricia Thompson's Cheveley Park Stud near Newmarket, England.
Arrowfield Stud announced that it had negotiated the purchase of an interest in Australian champion Starcraft. While terms had been agreed upon after Starcraft's win in the Sept. 24 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the ownership change will not take place until after Starcraft's Breeders' Cup appearance.
Starcraft, something of a Phar Lap facsimile, overcame immaturity and courageous outsider Braeloch to win the Australian Derby (Aust-I) by a long head April 10 in front of 53,744--the largest Derby-day crowd in 40 years.
Toccet ran to an easy 6 1/2-length victory in the $100,000 Laurel Futurity (gr. III) Saturday, while Makin Heat captured the $100,000 Selima for 2-year-old fillies.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Full Mast Could Cruise in King Edward Stakes
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Name Change for Historical Racing Company
- HRRN to Broadcast Queen's Plate Live
- PA House Resolution Supports Sports Betting
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom