A record price for a 2-year-old sold at public auction in Australia was established Thursday when a Dehere colt was sold for AUS$825,000 during the Magic Millions Gold Coast horses in training sale.
Starcraft, a group I winner in both hemispheres, will stand the 2006 Northern Hemisphere season at David and Patricia Thompson's Cheveley Park Stud near Newmarket, England.
Arrowfield Stud announced that it had negotiated the purchase of an interest in Australian champion Starcraft. While terms had been agreed upon after Starcraft's win in the Sept. 24 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I), the ownership change will not take place until after Starcraft's Breeders' Cup appearance.
Starcraft, something of a Phar Lap facsimile, overcame immaturity and courageous outsider Braeloch to win the Australian Derby (Aust-I) by a long head April 10 in front of 53,744--the largest Derby-day crowd in 40 years.
Toccet ran to an easy 6 1/2-length victory in the $100,000 Laurel Futurity (gr. III) Saturday, while Makin Heat captured the $100,000 Selima for 2-year-old fillies.
Most Popular Stories
- Tonalist Takes Jockey Club Gold Cup With Ease
- Shadwell: Grand Arch Holds Over The Pizza Man
- Wild Dude Rallies Late to Claim SA Sprint
- American Pharoah Drills at Santa Anita for BC
- Greenpointcrusader Rallies to Take Champagne
- Appealing Tale Wins Kelso, Honor Code Third
- Brody's Cause Storms Home in Futurity
- Tepin Airs in First Lady, BC Mile Next
- Nickname Wins Frizette Driving in the Slop
- No Silent Rolls to Eddie D Score