Favored Surf Cat unleashed a huge move on the turn for jockey Alex Solis and swept past the field to romp to victory in the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Saturday.
Three entrants who have distinguished themselves in distance races, Congrats, Imperialism and Surf Cat, will have to deal with a pair of sharp and improving 5-year-old sprinters in Major Success and Jet West at seven furlongs in Santa Anita's $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) on Saturday.
Edmund Gann's Major Success, battling between horses under Tyler Baze throughout the final furlong, outlasted his rivals by a neck to make his stakes debut a winning one for trainer Bobby Frankel in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
Trainer Bobby Frankel sends out Major Success for longtime client Edmund Gann in Saturday's $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) for older sprinters at Santa Anita Park.
This is the eighth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. With the Remsen Stakes and Kentucky Jockey Club to be run Saturday, and the Hollywood Futurity next month, there still are a number of exciting 2-year-olds who could vault into prominence.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Stay Thirsty's First Winner Comes in England
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet
- Stahlbaum Wins Avelino Gomez Award
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York