Favored Surf Cat unleashed a huge move on the turn for jockey Alex Solis and swept past the field to romp to victory in the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Saturday.
Three entrants who have distinguished themselves in distance races, Congrats, Imperialism and Surf Cat, will have to deal with a pair of sharp and improving 5-year-old sprinters in Major Success and Jet West at seven furlongs in Santa Anita's $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) on Saturday.
Edmund Gann's Major Success, battling between horses under Tyler Baze throughout the final furlong, outlasted his rivals by a neck to make his stakes debut a winning one for trainer Bobby Frankel in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
Trainer Bobby Frankel sends out Major Success for longtime client Edmund Gann in Saturday's $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) for older sprinters at Santa Anita Park.
This is the eighth in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. With the Remsen Stakes and Kentucky Jockey Club to be run Saturday, and the Hollywood Futurity next month, there still are a number of exciting 2-year-olds who could vault into prominence.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland's Historical Racing Plans Delayed
- Taghrooda Flies to King George Triumph
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move