Graded stakes winner Major Gain has been retired from racing and will stand the 2016 breeding season at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds in New York.
The withdrawal of Boys At Tosconova leaves a wide open field of nine sophomores to contest the $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park Jan. 30, the first major step toward the Florida Derby (gr. I) this spring.
Battling between horses in the long stretch duel, the maiden Santiva inched away in the final strides to edge odds-on favorite Astrology and Major Gain in the $165,000 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. II) Nov. 27.
Astrology, the Steve Asmussen-trained winner of the $150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. II) at Churchill Downs last month, tops the field of seven 2-year-olds entered for the Nov. 27 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. II).
Grade I winner Here Comes Ben, who is expected to be one of the favorites for the $1 million Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I), breezed six furlongs in 1:12.20 on the Keeneland Polytrack Oct. 21.
Carolyn and Karen Scisney's homebred Maybesomaybenot, winner of the Sanford (gr. II), headlines a field of 11 in the $400,000 Dixiana Breeders' Futurity (gr. I) for 2-year-olds going 1 1/16 miles on the Polytrack.
Gary and Mary West's homebred Major Gain broke his maiden in the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) Sept. 11, coming from off the pace to win by a length on the Arlington Polytrack.
Juveniles of both sexes take the spotlight Sept. 11 at Arlington Park with the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) and $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie (gr. III) sharing top billing on the nine-race card.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Mr. Jordan, Green Gratto Face Off in Salvator
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Santa Anita Installs New Turf Course
- Full Mast Could Cruise in King Edward Stakes