Rep. Donald G. Marean of Maine, a longtime owner and breeders of Standardbreds, has been elected to the American Horse Council board of trustees
Louisville-based Churchill Downs Inc. says it has completed the purchase of a Maine casino in a deal valued at about $160 million.
A Racing Surfaces Testing Laboratory designed to enhance surface safety for horses and riders is being launched with the financial support of a broad industry coalition, it was announced April 17 by the laboratory's coordinators Dr. Mick Peterson and Dr. Wayne McIlwraith.
Maine Gov. John Baldacci, as promised last June, vetoed a Washington County racino bill Friday.
Maine's Harness Racing Commission voted Tuesday to give Penn National Gaming Inc. the go-ahead to operate Bangor Raceway, bringing slot machines a step closer to reality at the state's commercial tracks.
Penn National Gaming Inc. has entered into an agreement with Capital Seven to purchase all of the shares of Bangor Historic Track, a company that operates harness racing in Bangor, Maine. In conjunction with the purchase agreement, PNGI also secured an option to purchase the interests in Vernon Downs, a New York Standardbred track controlled by an affiliate of Capital Seven.
An effort to win approval for racetrack video lottery terminals failed Nov. 4 in Colorado, but in Maine, voters gave their approval for racetrack VLTs.
Most Popular Stories
- Green Gratto Stuns Fall Highweight Field
- The Pizza Man Wins Hollywood Turf Cup
- Hollendorfer Gets 7,000th Win of Career
- Invaders Poised to Have Impact in Japan Cup
- Ahh Chocolate Smooth in Falls City
- Tonalist, Red Vine Please in Cigar Mile Drill
- Tonalist Takes on Private Zone in Cigar Mile
- Hard Not to Like Seeks Fourth Grade I
- Runhappy Strong in Five Furlong Move
- Mobile Bay Just Up in Zia Park Derby