British Thoroughbred Breeders' Association chairman Philip Freedman called for an end to discrimination against premature foals born before Jan. 1, during a keynote speech Jan. 9 to the TBA annual general meeting in London.
A record-breaking year at Tattersalls finished Nov. 30, with the Newmarket, England-based company showing a 233 million guineas turnover in 2006.
Cheveley Park Stakes (Eng-I) winner Magical Romance set a world auction record for a broodmare or broodmare prospect when purchased by agent James Wigan for 4.6 million guineas (about $9.35 million) at Tattersalls' December Sale in Newmarket on Tuesday, Nov. 28.
Alexandrova pulled off a Classic double and gave jockey Kieren Fallon a welcome morale boost when she ran away with the Darley Irish Oaks (Ire-I) at The Curragh on Sunday.
Alexandrova landed another English classic for trainer Aidan O'Brien and owners Susan Magnier, Michael Tabor, and Derrick Smith when flying home an easy winner of the 228th running of the Vodafone Oaks (Eng-I) at Epsom on Friday.
Part one of Tattersalls' new-look October Sale realized a total $93.68 million (52,631,500guineas) for 512 head sold at an average of $182,976 (102,795gns) and median of $124,600 (70,000gns). The clearance rate was 72%.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test