Northerly held off a determined challenge from Magical Miss to win the Group I Emirates Racing Association Underwood Stakes at Austrailia's Caulfield by a head Sunday.
Magical Miss left trainer Bart Cummings with a dilemma after her wonderful weight-for-age debut success at Caulfield on Aug. 31. Ridden by Steven Arnold, last season's 1,000 Guineas and Victoria Oaks (both (Aust-I) heroine swamped a slick Memsie field in the stretch to win the $177,000 (Australian funds) and 1,410 meters event by almost a length.
Living legend Bart Cummings won his eighth Victoria Oaks (Aust-I) when the Danehill filly Magical Miss strolled home a 4 1/2-length winner in the 141st edition at Flemington. Zabeel filly Manang nosed out Lil Lo Lill (by Umatilla) for second. The 2:34.7 time equalled the 28-year race record.
Most Popular Stories
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Ben's Cat Set for 10-Year-Old Debut
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Nyquist Jogs in Advance of Final Derby Work
- Sherman Seeks California Chrome Stakes Upset
- Mad Flatter Euthanized After Accident
- First Winner for Caleb's Posse at Gulfstream
- Horse Caucus Takes Testimony on Drug Bill