Northerly held off a determined challenge from Magical Miss to win the Group I Emirates Racing Association Underwood Stakes at Austrailia's Caulfield by a head Sunday.
Magical Miss left trainer Bart Cummings with a dilemma after her wonderful weight-for-age debut success at Caulfield on Aug. 31. Ridden by Steven Arnold, last season's 1,000 Guineas and Victoria Oaks (both (Aust-I) heroine swamped a slick Memsie field in the stretch to win the $177,000 (Australian funds) and 1,410 meters event by almost a length.
Living legend Bart Cummings won his eighth Victoria Oaks (Aust-I) when the Danehill filly Magical Miss strolled home a 4 1/2-length winner in the 141st edition at Flemington. Zabeel filly Manang nosed out Lil Lo Lill (by Umatilla) for second. The 2:34.7 time equalled the 28-year race record.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby
- Upstart Breeder Out of Hospital, CD Bound
- Churchill Releases First Quarter Earnings
- NJ Casino Simulcast Bill Signed Into Law
- Lenny's Place: Kentucky Derby Edition