Cot Campbell tells stories of renowned Hall of Fame trainer MacKenzie 'Mack' Miller. read blog
Lenny and Steve say good-bye to 2010 with the Offy Awards. Plus, Life At Ten, NYRA, and remembering Mack Miller. Watch Video
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Whether Miller's long-term legacy as a breeder will approach his enduring reputation as a trainer is a question for the future.
In a word, Mack could best be described as "genuine." Read Blog
MacKenzie 'Mack' Miller, a Hall of Fame trainer who won the 1993 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) with Paul Mellon's Sea Hero, died the morning of Dec. 10 at the University of Kentucky's Markey Cancer Center in Lexington. He was 89.
Printing Press, dam of multiple grade I winner Lite Light, was euthanized earlier in the month because of complications from the infirmities of old age.
- By Ron Mitchell
The Keeneland November sale will include dispersals or major reductions by Adena Springs, Swettenham Stud, Golden Eagle Farm, the partnership of retired trainer MacKenzie Miller and the late Smiser West, and California owner Stan E. Fulton.
Dr. R. Smiser West, owner of Waterford Farm near Midway, Ky., with his wife, Kathryn, died the afternoon of Dec. 20 at Samaritan Hospital in Lexington. West, who was in his mid-90s, had spent the last week at the hospital.
Late on a rainy, dreary Sunday afternoon, thoughts drift through the years, remembering Derbys of the not-so-distant past.
Glowing Tribute, the dam of Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Sea Hero and six other major stakes winners, died Aug. 5 of colic. One of the top broodmares of recent times, the 31-year-old daughter of Graustark was owned by John R. Gaines at the time of her death.
Most Popular Stories
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog