In his first ride at Tampa Bay Downs, Carlos Marquez brought Victory Alleged six wide into the lane to run down the leaders for a 28-1 surprise in the $142,500 Tampa Bay Stakes on the turf Dec. 21.
All the time, trainers map out a schedule for a horse. Sometimes it works out. Other times it doesn't. And when it does work out, there is always one very important thing at work.
Trainer Dennis Manning plans to send King's Bishop (gr. I) winner to Santa Anita for the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I). Manning, who is based at Monmouth, said he plans to train the gelding up to the Oct. 25 event.
Nine-year-old Key Lory, who was unbeaten in four career turf starts, left Monmouth Park this week headed for retirement.
Bee Bee Stables and Jacqueline Tortora's Supah Blitz, fourth in the Florida Derby and second in the Fountain of Youth (both gr. I) at Gulfstream earlier this season, may go favored in Saturday's $250,000 Aventura Stakes at the Hallandale Beach oval.
An abscess caused by a stone bruise has knocked Key Lory out of Saturday's $500,000 United Nation's Handicap (gr. IT) at Monmouth Park, trainer Dennis Manning reported Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Emerald Downs Seeks New Track Announcer
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Baffert Weighing Bayern's Derby Week Options
- 'Company' No Issue for El Kabeir in Workout
- Criterion, Red Cadeaux Set for Rematch in HK
- Tencendur Beats the Rain in Morning Work
- International Star Stays Home for Final Work
- Kentucky Derby: Simon Callaghan & Firing Line
- Firing Line Stretches Legs in Derby Breeze