Having a horse on the Kentucky Derby trail is something that most horsemen can only dream about. But for trainer Ian Wilkes and owners Joseph Rauch and David Zell, having fun is more important than dreams of Derby glory.
Citizen, ridden by Jon Court, rallied along the inside to open a wide lead in the stretch and then held on by a head over fast-closing Flying Private in the $50,000 Mountain Valley Stakes at odds of 29-1 Feb. 28 at Oaklawn Park.
Run Away and Hide, undefeated in two starts and entering off a victory in the May 1 Kentucky Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, tops a promising field of 2-year-old colts in the $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) Aug. 14.
It seemed only fitting that Calvin Borel would reach a career milestone victory in a familiar manner, at Churchill Downs, on a longshot, and by flying up the rail. The 41-year-old rider recorded his 4,500th victory aboard 18-1 Screen Your Friend in the $164,550 Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) July 5 in Louisville, Ky.
Steve Asmussen has an excellent chance to capture the Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) for the third time in his career, as the leading training sends out the top two choices in the $150,000-added event July 5 at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Miss Behaviour Romps in Charles Town Oaks
- Untapable Unstoppable in Grade I Cotillion
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Suffolk Open to Any Viable Plans for Racing
- Featured Horse Profile: Artemis Agrotera
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Artemis Agrotera Gets Up to Win Gallant Bloom
- Thank You Marylou Coasts Clear in Dogwood
- Moreno, Itsmyluckyday Work for Super Saturday