Yutaka Take became Japan's first jockey to win 100 grade or group I races when he guided Tosen Ra to victory in the Mile Championship (Jpn-I) Nov. 17 at Kyoto.
Overlooked Palladio swept past Awesome Rhythm approaching the eighth pole en route to a two-length victory at odds of 9-1 in the $147,965 Autumn Stakes (Can-II) at Woodbine Nov. 14.
Winless in nearly 17 months, Palladio broke through in a big way in the $154,200 Durham Cup (Can-III) Oct. 11 at Woodbine, as the 6-year-old took over at the quarter pole and held on in the stretch to score by 1 3/4 lengths on the Polytrack.
Lycius, sire of several champions, will relocate to George Brown's Briar Hill Farm near Rehoboth, Mass., for 2008 and will stand for $2,000.
Canadian-based Palladio, winner of the Ohio Derby (gr. II), is scheduled to arrive at Monmouth Park Thursday evening for Sunday's $1-million Haskell Invitational Handicap (gr. I), which could draw as many as nine starters.
Canadian invader Palladio unfurled a strong finishing kick to overcome favored Magna Graduate and post a one-length upset in the $350,000 Ohio Derby (gr. II) Saturday at Thistledown.
Coney Kitty survived a steward's inquiry and a jockey's objection to record a neck victory over Madeira Mist in the $100,000 Hillsborough Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Tampa Bay Downs turf.
English runner Madame Jones, who made 61 starts last year, winning 11 handicaps, will be bred and continue racing in 2002.
English group I winner Lycius has been relocated to Tim Little and Anne Morgan's Mill Creek Farm near Stillwater, N.Y., where he will stand for $7,500 live foal.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Look Back: Justakiss, Ole Liz Win Divisions of Bewitch
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017