After getting off to a relatively slow start, trainer Ronny Werner swept both maiden races for 2-year-olds run at Keeneland Thursday and Friday. The two wins improve Werner's record with first-time starters at the Lexington track the last two years to seven wins from 10 starts.
Triple Crown Bloodstock's Publication raced up close through slow opening fractions, inherited the lead when pacesetter Lunar Bounty tired, then held on to win Saturday's $150,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. II) by a neck at Arlington Park.
Seven colts are scheduled to head postward Wednesday in the grade II Saratoga Special. Lunar Bounty, who is undefeated in two starts, is the 2-1 morning line favorite.
Cashier's Dream and Lunar Bounty both earn rich stakes wins over Churchill Downs' final weekend
Tom R. Durant's Lunar Bounty dueled with Binyamin and 4-5 favorite Storm Passage through the opening half-mile before pulling clear to a 2 1/2-length victory in the $133,750 Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. II) on Sunday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Silent Achiever, Vespa Win in New Zealand
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Using Bursography to Diagnose Palmar Foot Pain
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner