Spring Star, winner of the Wilshire Handicap (gr. IIIT) in her last start at Hollwood Park on April 25, has been retired, trainer Richard Mandella said Wednesday from his Santa Anita headquarters. Mandella also confirmed that grade I winner Redattore is retired to and will be sent to stud.
The gritty 8-year-old Redattore hadn't been himself in his last three starts. But with Julie Krone in the irons on Saturday, the Brazilian-bred bay showed all of his former fight, holding off favored Irish Warrior by three-quarters of a length in the $400,000 Citation Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Alex Solis made the most of his opportunity to ride Redattore for the injured Laffit Pincay Jr. in the $400,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) Saturday at Santa Anita. He took the 8-year-old Brazilian-bred son of Roi Normand to the front and kept him there, scoring a one-length victory over the hard-closing favorite, Good Journey.
Most Popular Stories
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Gaudet, Amoss to Join Saratoga Live Team
- Fewer Fatalities Tied to Risk-Factor Changes
- A New Brand of Hero
- Bramlage: Decreased Use of Depo-Medrol a Plus
- AAEP Panel Calls for Additional EIPH Research
- F-T Horses of Racing Age Sale Catalog Online