Salutos Amigos completed a scintillating last-to-first rally to win the $200,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. III) for the second consecutive year March 12 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Breeders' Cup Marathon winner Calidoscopio has been retired to stud. The 10-year-old Argentine-bred will stand alongside his sire Luhuk at his birthplace, Haras La Quebrada, near Buenos Aires.
Breeders' Cup Marathon victor Calidoscopio, 22 lengths off the pace, caught up with seven opponents on a sloppy track to take the $200,000 Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II) June 7 at rainy Belmont Park.
Luhuk, who shuttled from Argentina to Gainesway Farm (Antony Beck, president) near Lexington the past several seasons, will remain in Argentina.
Grade I winner Avanzado has been retired from racing and will enter stud at John C. Harris' Harris Farms near Coalinga, Calif.
Cees Stable's Avanzado isn't eligible for the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), so he ran his biggest race at Santa Anita on Sunday, controlling the $200,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) every step of the way.
Avanzado proved he didn't need the lead to win Sunday at Belmont Park, running down fading pacesetting Sunray Spirit in the stretch to post a two-length win in the six-furlong Forest Hills Handicap (gr. II).
Lexington's Gainesway Farm will bring Luhuk from Argentina to stand the 2001 breeding season. Of the eight known foals in Luhuk's first crop, all but one are stakes winners or stakes-placed, all in Argentina.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule