Barbaro's quest for the Triple Crown turned into a fight for his life, bringing much public attention to the fragility of horses' legs and feet.
The Louisiana State University Hurricane Equine Rescue Operation has reinstated its horse-rescue hotline as another major storm, Hurricane Rita, approaches the state.
Still recovering from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Southern Louisiana braces for the oncoming power of hurricane Rita. In anticipation of this Category 5 hurricane, the Louisiana State University Hurricane Equine Rescue Operation has reinstated the horse rescue hotline at (225) 578 - 9501.
As southern Louisiana reaches the one week anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, rescue efforts continue on a large scale for horses affected by the storm and subsequent flooding.
Though field size at Fair Grounds racetrack in New Orleans is up, on-track and total handle are down from last year.
The Equine Health Studies Program (EHSP) at the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine (SVM) will receive funds from tax revenue generated from slot machines placed in racetracks throughout the state, part of a bill recently passed in the Louisiana Legislature.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment