Barbaro's quest for the Triple Crown turned into a fight for his life, bringing much public attention to the fragility of horses' legs and feet.
The Louisiana State University Hurricane Equine Rescue Operation has reinstated its horse-rescue hotline as another major storm, Hurricane Rita, approaches the state.
Still recovering from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Southern Louisiana braces for the oncoming power of hurricane Rita. In anticipation of this Category 5 hurricane, the Louisiana State University Hurricane Equine Rescue Operation has reinstated the horse rescue hotline at (225) 578 - 9501.
As southern Louisiana reaches the one week anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, rescue efforts continue on a large scale for horses affected by the storm and subsequent flooding.
Though field size at Fair Grounds racetrack in New Orleans is up, on-track and total handle are down from last year.
The Equine Health Studies Program (EHSP) at the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine (SVM) will receive funds from tax revenue generated from slot machines placed in racetracks throughout the state, part of a bill recently passed in the Louisiana Legislature.
Most Popular Stories
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Multi-Breed Drug Uniformity No Easy Task
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- New Buyers Drive Up Sales at Arqana
- Charles Town Gets Dates But Awaits Contract