Barbaro's quest for the Triple Crown turned into a fight for his life, bringing much public attention to the fragility of horses' legs and feet.
The Louisiana State University Hurricane Equine Rescue Operation has reinstated its horse-rescue hotline as another major storm, Hurricane Rita, approaches the state.
Still recovering from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Southern Louisiana braces for the oncoming power of hurricane Rita. In anticipation of this Category 5 hurricane, the Louisiana State University Hurricane Equine Rescue Operation has reinstated the horse rescue hotline at (225) 578 - 9501.
As southern Louisiana reaches the one week anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, rescue efforts continue on a large scale for horses affected by the storm and subsequent flooding.
Though field size at Fair Grounds racetrack in New Orleans is up, on-track and total handle are down from last year.
The Equine Health Studies Program (EHSP) at the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine (SVM) will receive funds from tax revenue generated from slot machines placed in racetracks throughout the state, part of a bill recently passed in the Louisiana Legislature.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury